Dec 8, 2023
In this episode of the Plein Air Podcast, Eric Rhoads interviews Richard Sneary, who began painting as an artist primarily en plein air in 2011 after 40 years as an architectural illustrator and architect. Architecture was the first love of his career and formed the foundation of his understanding of design composition, freehand drawing perspective, and the built-in natural environment, as well as many other aspects of his personal and professional growth.
Listen as they discuss:
- Why so many painters - especially watercolorists - started in architecture
- What he was thinking when he quit his successful career as an architect to become a full-time artist (how it was a leap, and a stumble)
- Richard's advice for others who are developing their art career
- Letting go of tight details and painting more loosely
- The difference he experiences as a painter in regards to being more relaxed day to day versus the pressure of working at an office job
- Why he travels to 11-12 plein air events in a given year (Hint: It relates to what inspires him as an artist)
- Embracing the struggle and his pitch to those who don't paint en plein air
- The worst thing you can do when painting indoors or outdoors, no matter your level of experience
Bonus! How do you price your paintings (and not set the price too low)? And how can artists use AI for their business? Eric Rhoads answers in this week's Art Marketing Minute.
– Richard Sneary online: https://www.richardsneary.com/
– Fall Color Week: https://fallcolorweek.com/
– Watercolor Live: https://watercolorlive.com/wcl2024
– PleinAir Magazine: https://pleinairmagazine.com/
– Plein Air Convention & Expo: https://pleinairconvention.com/
– Submit Art Marketing Questions: artmarketing.com/questions
The Plein Air Podcast has been named the #1 Painting Podcast by FeedSpot for two years in a row. New in 2023: FeedSpot has named Eric's Art Marketing Minute Podcast as one of the Top 25 Art Business and Marketing Blogs on the web.